Features & Latest News
Friday, 01 April 2016 11:06

Eskom war declared “over”

Eskom’s “war room”, which was established at the height of South Africa’s energy crisis, has been closed down. Public Enterprises director-general Mogokare Seleke told the parliamentary portfolio committee on public enterprises that the need for the crisis centre no longer exists.

Seleke said a group of young engineers was basically playing Tetris – moving resources around so that maintenance took place without power gaps. Medupi’s Unit 6 has since come online, feeding more power into the grid, and the country has had six months without load shedding. Further measures taken included co-generation agreements, gas imports, independent power producers and liaison with some of the most energy-intensive users in the country.

Energy Minister Tina Joemat-Pettersson told Parliament earlier this month that independent power producers are currently utilising gas and coal, and she hopes to see others harnessing nuclear energy down the line.

Source: Times Live

Link: http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2016/03/03/Eskom-war-declared-over

GIL Africa 2017

275x265